Think about the different roles at your company. If you are in technology, you thought about sales, engineers, product managers, customer success managers, etc. If you are in the service industry, you thought about servers, cooks, cashiers, drivers, etc. You get the idea. The roles may vary industry to industry, but three things seem to be universal:
- No matter the company and industry, there is always at least one person in a formal leadership role
- Every role at your company has a suite of tools to help them be the best they can be
- Anyone may need to step up and serve in a leadership role of a project or initiative
As a leader, you may have paused reading that second statement. We sure did! Leaders don’t have many tools to help them be the best they can be. This is why we created Koan.
Koan exists to help every team realize its purpose. And we mean realize its purpose in its fullest:
- to become fully aware of (something) as a fact; understand clearly.
- to cause (something desired or anticipated) to happen
Finally, a platform designed for leaders and (bonus!) your team and company will love Koan, too. Starting with your most important work every week all the way through how your team will make a dent in the world.
We've researched and interviewed top leaders from various industries and discovered an obvious, but important, pattern. High-performing teams share a small set of core behaviors they practice regularly in order to gain mastery and excellence. These include:
- Setting good goals and updating confidence and metrics regularly
- Communicating progress, priorities and problems
- Receiving regular feedback from your manager and peers
We've built Koan to help you create a consistent pattern of these behaviors. Now, you might be wondering, "If, I'm already doing these things, why should I adopt another tool like Koan -- even if it is kinda cool to have a tool created with me (as a leader) in mind?" Good question.
Koan is a platform that...
- Allows you to break away from clumsy goal spreadsheets and lets your entire team/company review team confidence, metrics, and other important status indicators.
- Keeps you from nagging your team to complete their weekly status report. We'll notify everyone on the team when they need to perform an action, and about important changes like updates to deadlines.
- Helps foster a positive team culture by encouraging feedback directly between your team and you in the context of the work and the most important goals.
But, you don't have to take our word for it! If you Google "the importance of purpose at work," you will find plenty of information about just how much this matters. For example:
- Simon Sinek’s Start with Why movement
- Gallup’s research on the American workplace changing at a dizzying pace
- Designing North’s blog Top talent wants meaning: Companies, lead with purpose
- ReWork’s case study on KPMG: motivating employees through a deeper sense of purpose
- Kimber Lockhart’s blog Don’t create a sense of urgency, foster a sense of purpose
If you have any questions or ideas along the way, click the chat button on this page or drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.